Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Ole And Zac And The Port Of Tumbattle

There has been a flurry of activity this week. I'll start with Mmm...No1...Cookbook as I received my 20 author copies ordered from Createspace in the US. Earlier than expected and all very high quality. I also received the single copy I ordered from the UK distribution of Createspace and it is of the same high quality. This is a major plus and will probably encourage me to use the excellent Createspace even more.

Stags! continues to sell week, though not as fast as this time last week. 248 paid downloads, though as sales have declined I have dropped the price to 99p. Actually when I did this it came up as 1.02 so I dropped it to 95p and its now listed as 98p! Anyway, sales continue and I am still in 3 Amazon Bestseller lists, with a new free promotion due in June. I've had 3 new reviews as a result of this, all 5 star, and two of them had accompanying emails which was great. Royalty cheques imminent!

Ole And Zac And The Port Of Tumbattle is an interesting one. Released in 2010 using Fast-Print publishing it is a really good quality book, but there were significant overheads in producing it. I gave all of the profits to the local school charity, only fair as the produced most of the illustrations. Anyway, I was considering having it removed from the Fast-Print catalogue as I am not expecting any more sales, then along came an email from Christy Condoleo who wants to feature the tale in a Blog Talk Radio show

Its Story Time For Kids

Christy has her own fantastic website here

Eppys Creations

And this is another website connected to the show

The Book Garden

You can buy the original here

Ole And Zac And The Port Of Tumbattle on Amazon

My first thought was "Great" but my second was "How will Americans buy the book if they like what they hear?" and then I thought of Createspace. I quickly set up the basic book and hit two problems. The Createspace covers are not as inspirational as that designed (at some cost) by Fast-Print, but the one I chose should be good enough, and the US printing format is not quite the same as the UK. This means that the A4 size of the original is slightly different to the Letter size of the US one which led to a little extra formatting. Most of the blurb was already available so the set up wasn't too arduous, and within 36 hours the proof was ready to order. I was pleasantly surprised to find that although the bill is in dollars the shipping cost and expected delivery date leads me to believe that it is being printed and despatched from the UK. Should be here on Friday! Createspace did report that some of the pictures were low resolution, but they were originally drawn by children and scanned in so this was to be expected, and it gives it a more authentic feel. More news on when the show airs coming soon.

The new cover will look like this


No comments:

Post a Comment